Re: Should contrib modules install .h files?

From: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Should contrib modules install .h files?
Date: 2018-08-05 22:03:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> This logic could perhaps be best moved into the pgxs makefile
>> itself, either unconditionally adding -I options to CPPFLAGS, or
>> conditionally adding them based on a WANT_EXTENSION_HEADERS flag of
>> some sort set by the module makefile.

Tom> I think we'd want to press forward on making that happen, so that
Tom> hstore_plperl and friends can serve as copy-and-pasteable
Tom> prototype code for out-of-tree transform modules. Do you have an
Tom> idea how to fix the other problem you mentioned with the plpython
Tom> makefiles?

Here's a patch that fixes (not necessarily in the best way) the PGXS
builds of all the contrib/*_pl{perl,python} modules.

Open questions:

- is there a better way of doing the conditional setting of
PG_CPPFLAGS?

- the choice of which .h files to install from plperl and plpython is
not principled - I just installed the ones needed for the contrib
modules to work. Particularly for plpython this list needs to be
reviewed - but I'm not a pythonist and that should be done by someone
who is.

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)

Attachment Content-Type Size