Re: BUG #4190: sparc64 test suite fails

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Dennis Gilmore" <dennis(at)ausil(dot)us>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #4190: sparc64 test suite fails
Date: 2008-05-23 20:01:45
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> IMHO, what you have here is a compiler bug, or at least the gcc boys are
> going to need to provide a damn good excuse why it's not.

You don't, perhaps have any of -ffast-math or these two suboptions which
-ffast-math enables turned on?

`-funsafe-math-optimizations'
Allow optimizations for floating-point arithmetic that (a) assume
that arguments and results are valid and (b) may violate IEEE or
ANSI standards. When used at link-time, it may include libraries
or startup files that change the default FPU control word or other
similar optimizations.

This option should never be turned on by any `-O' option since it
can result in incorrect output for programs which depend on an
exact implementation of IEEE or ISO rules/specifications for math
functions.

The default is `-fno-unsafe-math-optimizations'.

`-fno-trapping-math'
Compile code assuming that floating-point operations cannot
generate user-visible traps. These traps include division by
zero, overflow, underflow, inexact result and invalid operation.
This option implies `-fno-signaling-nans'. Setting this option
may allow faster code if one relies on "non-stop" IEEE arithmetic,
for example.

This option should never be turned on by any `-O' option since it
can result in incorrect output for programs which depend on an
exact implementation of IEEE or ISO rules/specifications for math
functions.

The default is `-ftrapping-math'.

--
Gregory Stark