Re: [HACKERS] Dbsize backend integration

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: viy(at)mits(dot)lv, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Dbsize backend integration
Date: 2005-06-30 23:50:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> I don't think so. I think trait and property suggests an aspect of the
> object, so saying trait/property size is saying I am talking about an
> aspect of the object, while for a heap, its size is really its size, it
> isn't an aspect of its size.

I haven't been following this discussion but, uh, does the fact that I have
absolutely no clue what pg_trait_size() or pg_property_size() would be
measuring count for anything? My best guess here is that it's for measuring
the space taken up by a column which doesn't make a lot of sense.

I think you need to think about unambiguous words that help the user
understand what the function does; words that the user might guess if they
were looking for a function to do that, whatever that is.

Not words that are sufficiently vague as to include whatever it's actually
doing but offer no clue what that is. There are an infinite number of such
words to pick and no way for the user to figure out what he or she is looking
for.

--
greg