Re: Racing DEADLOCK on PostgreSQL 9.3

From: Jerry Sievers <gsievers19(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: Nick Dro <postgresql(at)walla(dot)co(dot)il>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Racing DEADLOCK on PostgreSQL 9.3
Date: 2018-04-25 18:56:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Nick Dro <postgresql(at)walla(dot)co(dot)il> writes:

> Hi,
> I have a stock table.
>
> One of the users in the system ran this query: update stock set
> quantity=quantity-5 where stockid=100 (from his client application).
> On the same time I ran from pg-admin this query:
>
> do $$
> begin
> alter table stock disable trigger stock_aftertrigger;
> update stock set stock=0 where stockid=106;
> alter table stock enable trigger stock_aftertrigger;
> end; $$
>
> What actualy happened is that both queries were stuck on waiting
> (after 3 minutes I decided to investagate as there quries should be
> extremly fast!).

I suspect your alter trigger job was blocked first by something else and
the more trivial update blocked behind you, which is not a *deadlock*
but a legit case of MVCC.

A real case of deadlock should have been broken in about 1s by the lock
management policy unless you are running a configuration with huge
deadlock timeout.

That your alter statement needs a heavy lock means that it can be easily
blocked and in so doing, block anything else whatsoever also requiring
access to same objects.

--
Jerry Sievers
Postgres DBA/Development Consulting