Re: pgsql-server/ /configure /configure.in rc/incl ...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql-server/ /configure /configure.in rc/incl ...
Date: 2004-05-01 01:04:54
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> It goes with the Win32 approach of doing as little as possible to the
> Unix port.

That's *not* the approach I want to take. What I want is a Windows port
that adds as little #ifdef cruft to the system as possible --- that is,
no duplicate code paths that are used for only some platforms. A port
that uses an entire timezone library that's not used elsewhere doesn't
fit that criterion.

Besides which, as I tried to explain already, a large part of the reason
for wanting to solve the Windows datetime problem in this particular way
was the knowledge that we could solve a lot of existing problems on
various Unixen by adopting the same code cross-platform.

What you're wanting to do seems a lot like what would happen if I were
to write the fsync/sync-in-bgwriter code that I plan to do next week,
and then commit it all as #ifdef WIN32 in parallel with the existing way
of doing things. It would be an ugly mess, and you'd quite rightly tell
me off for it ...