Re: How to parse data type array columns?

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Janning Vygen <vygen(at)gmx(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: How to parse data type array columns?
Date: 2005-08-16 20:08:01
Lists: pgsql-php

Janning Vygen <vygen(at)gmx(dot)de> writes:

> What kind of "binary format" do you mean? anyway: In PHP you get it as a
> string and i wonder if anyone has written a small pasrer function for php to
> handle this string an convert it into an php array structure.

The server can provide each data type in either ascii format or in a binary
representation. In general the binary representation is something that's
easier and more efficient to process by machine. I'm not sure what the array
representation looks like though.

I don't know whether the PHP driver uses binary representations for anything.
If it does it would make things like integers (imperceptibly) faster and
possibly slightly more reliable. In the case of arrays it would maybe make it
easier to code and maybe significantly more efficient.

It's possible it's already using binary mode for some data types and just
isn't for arrays. But I suspect it isn't.

--
greg