Re: Indexam API changes

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-patches" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Indexam API changes
Date: 2008-04-08 12:23:13
Lists: pgsql-patches

"Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:

> There's a bunch of mails in the patch queue about the indexam API, so we need
> to discuss that.
>
> The first question is: do we want to refactor the bitmap index scan API, if we
> don't have any immediate use for it? Namely, since we don't have anyone
> actively working on the bitmap index patch nor the git patch.

I haven't read the patch. My understanding from the discussion is that it
would allow callers of the indexam to receive a hunk of index pointers and
process them rather than have to wait for the complete index scan to finish
before processing any. Is that it?

In general I think we need to be more open to incremental improvements. I
think there are several fronts on which we refuse patches to do X because it's
useless without Y and have nobody working on Y because they would have to
solve X first.

--
Gregory Stark