Re: advancing snapshot's xmin

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Neil Conway" <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Pg Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: advancing snapshot's xmin
Date: 2008-03-26 16:29:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> Uhm, yeah, I somehow didn't write was I was thinking. I didn't mean to say we
>> would be taking a new snapshot for each INSERT but that we would be resetting
>> xmin for each INSERT. Whereas currently we only set xmin once when we set the
>> serializable snapshot.
>
> Right, but setting xmin within GetSnapshotData is essentially free.
> What I'm envisioning is that we lose the notion of "this is a
> serializable snapshot" that that function currently has, and just
> give it the rule "if MyProc->xmin is currently zero, then set it".
> Then the only additional mechanism needed is for the snapshot
> manager to detect when all snapshots are gone and zero out
> MyProc->xmin --- that would happen sometime during command shutdown,
> and per current discussion it shouldn't need a lock.

It would be nice if there was some way to notice that no other transactions
have committed since last we calculated a snapshot and just reuse that
snapshot.

I would say ideally before we throw out our xmin but I suspect the point of
synchronization needed to notice this condition would be tantamount to that
same lock anyways.

--
Gregory Stark