Re: A 2 phase commit weirdness

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)surnet(dot)cl>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A 2 phase commit weirdness
Date: 2005-05-31 06:09:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)surnet(dot)cl> writes:
> But at awakening, the user will get this:
> ERROR: relation 66002 deleted while still in use
> This is ugly -- I don't think there is a way to get out of it.

There had better be a way, since (I suppose) the ERROR is preventing the
commit from succeeding ...

> Unrelated question: is it intended that the prepared transactions are
> visible cross-database through pg_prepared_xacts?

That is a good question. Can a backend running in a different database
execute the COMMIT (or ROLLBACK)? Offhand I'd bet that will not work,
which suggests we'd better make the view per-database. [ thinks a bit
more... ] We might be able to make it work, but there seems like a lot
of potential for bugs/fragility there. Might be best to take the narrow
definition to start with.