Re: Packages, Repository and Rebuilding

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "'Jean-Michel POURE'" <jmpoure(at)axitrad(dot)com>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Packages, Repository and Rebuilding
Date: 2001-09-20 15:06:56
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Simple, create all indexes last of all. The optimizer will figure out what
indexes to use (and cache the results) on a per query basis at runtime (if I
understand it correctly), hence you can add an index at any time and it will
be used where appropriate. The functions don't care about indexes at
creation time.

Like I, this is how I understand PostgreSQL does it. I may well be wrong.

> >No, basically it will dump the schema as an sql script from the
> >selected server or database. Alternatively, it will publish (==copy)
> >the schema to another specified database(s). Basically a
> mechanism for
> >moving your schema from a dev or staging server to one or more
> >production servers.
> This is what I need, good.

Thought you'd like it!

Dave.