Re: OSX: Allow connection from remote host (actually from windows running in parallels)

From: Jan Eden <me(at)janeden(dot)net>
To: "Bill P(dot)" <maxarbos(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: OSX: Allow connection from remote host (actually from windows running in parallels)
Date: 2011-01-04 17:44:09
Lists: pgsql-novice

On 04.01.2011, at 17:51, Bill P. wrote:

> I am trying to connect to my OSX installed version of PG from Windows XP SP3 running in Parallels on my mac.
>
> When I try to connect, i get an error about no entry in the pg_hba.conf for the ip i am trying to connect to.
> I used pgAdmin3 to try to edit the file. postgresql.conf first to enable to the pg_hba.conf dir and then the pg_hba.conf file.
>
> Neither allows me to edit and save these files due to permissions.
>
> I also tried to edit them through the terminal, that didnt work and also added my user to the people allowed to read/write those two files.
> Then through a text editor, it seemed to work (as well as doing it again through pgAdmin) and then when saved, PG would not start back up.

You could check the most recent log file in /Library/PostgreSQL/9.0/data/pg_log – it will tell you why the server restart failed.

> So what is the correct process to edit these files and allow pg to be connected to by remote host.

AFAIK, Parallels creates some virtual network adapter, so the virtualized Windows environment would have to go through this adapter to the "physical" localhost (127.0.0.1). I have not tried to do this before, so I cannot help you here.

Kind regards,
Jan