Re: logical decoding and replication of sequences

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: logical decoding and replication of sequences
Date: 2022-03-25 16:50:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 3/25/22 12:59, Tomas Vondra wrote:

> On 3/25/22 12:21, Amit Kapila wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 3:56 PM Tomas Vondra
>> <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

>>> D'oh! I got distracted by Petr's response to that message, and missed
>>> this part ...

>>> How would that happen? If we're effectively setting the sequence as a
>>> side effect of inserting the data, then why should we even replicate the
>>> sequence?
>>>

>> I was talking just about sequence values here, considering that some
>> sequence is just replicating based on nextval. I think the problem is
>> that apply worker might override what copy has done if an apply worker
>> is behind the sequence sync worker as both can run in parallel. Let me
>> try to take some theoretical example to explain this:
>>
>> Assume, at LSN 10000, the value of sequence s1 is 10. Then by LSN
>> 12000, the value of s1 becomes 20. Now, say copy decides to copy the
>> sequence value till LSN 12000 which means it will make the value as 20
>> on the subscriber, now, in parallel, apply worker can process LSN
>> 10000 and make it again 10. Apply worker might end up redoing all
>> sequence operations along with some transactional ones where we
>> recreate the file. I am not sure what exact problem it can lead to but
>> I think we don't need to redo the work.
>>
>> We'll have the problem later too, no?
>>

> Ah, I was confused why this would be an issue for sequences and not for
> plain tables, but now I realize apply_handle_sequence() is not called in
> apply_handle_sequence. Yes, that's probably a thinko.

Hmm, so fixing this might be a bit trickier than I expected.

Firstly, currently we only send nspname/relname in the sequence message,
not the remote OID or schema. The idea was that for sequences we don't
really need schema info, so this seemed OK.

But should_apply_changes_for_rel() needs LogicalRepRelMapEntry, and to
create/maintain that those records we need to send the schema.

Attached is a WIP patch does that.

Two places need more work, I think:

1) maybe_send_schema needs ReorderBufferChange, but we don't have that
for sequences, we only have TXN. I created a simple wrapper, but maybe
we should just tweak maybe_send_schema to use TXN.

2) The transaction handling in is a bit confusing. The non-transactional
increments won't have any explicit commit later, so we can't just rely
on begin_replication_step/end_replication_step. But I want to try
spending a bit more time on this.

But there's a more serious issue, I think. So far, we allowed this:

BEGIN;
CREATE SEQUENCE s2;
ALTER PUBLICATION p ADD SEQUENCE s2;
INSERT INTO seq_test SELECT nextval('s2') FROM generate_series(1,100);
COMMIT;

and the behavior was that we replicated the changes. But with the patch
applied, that no longer happens, because should_apply_changes_for_rel
says the change should not be applied.

And after thinking about this, I think that's correct - we can't apply
changes until ALTER SUBSCRIPTION ... REFRESH PUBLICATION gets executed,
and we can't do that until the transaction commits.

So I guess that's correct, and the current behavior is a bug.

For a while I was thinking that maybe this means we don't need the
transactional behavior at all, but I think we do - we have to handle
ALTER SEQUENCE cases that are transactional.

Does that make sense, Amit?

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Attachment Content-Type Size
sequences-tablesync-fix.patch text/x-patch 6.0 KB