Re: constraint exclusion and nulls in IN (..) clause

From: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: emre(at)hasegeli(dot)com
Cc: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: constraint exclusion and nulls in IN (..) clause
Date: 2018-03-05 01:59:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi.

On 2018/03/04 22:12, Emre Hasegeli wrote:
>> Yeah, the patch in its current form is wrong, because it will give wrong
>> answers if the operator being used in a SAOP is non-strict. I modified
>> the patch to consider operator strictness before doing anything with nulls.
>
> I tried to review this patch without any familiarity to the code.

Thanks for the review.

> arrayconst_next_fn():
>
>> + /* skip nulls if ok to do so */
>> + if (state->opisstrict)
>> + {
>> + while (state->elem_nulls[state->next_elem])
>> + state->next_elem++;
>> + }
>
> Shouldn't we check if we consumed all elements (state->next_elem >=
> state->num_elems) inside the while loop?

You're right. Fixed.

> arrayexpr_next_fn():
>
>> + /* skip nulls if ok to do so */
>> + if (state->opisstrict)
>> + {
>> + Node *node = (Node *) lfirst(state->next);
>> +
>> + while (IsA(node, Const) && ((Const *) node)->constisnull)
>> + state->next = lnext(state->next);
>> + }
>
> I cannot find a way to test this change. Can you imagine a query to
> exercise it on the regression tests?

So far, I hadn't either. I figured one out and added it to inherit.sql.
Basically, I needed to write the query such that an IN () expression
doesn't get const-simplified to a Const containing array, but rather
remains an ArrayExpr. So, arrayexpr_*() functions in predtest.c are now
exercised.

Attached updated patch.

Thanks,
Amit

Attachment Content-Type Size
v3-0001-Disregard-nulls-in-SAOP-rightarg-array-list-durin.patch text/plain 6.5 KB