Re: Making TEXT NUL-transparent

From: Florian Weimer <fweimer(at)bfk(dot)de>
To: Alexander Shulgin <ash(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Making TEXT NUL-transparent
Date: 2011-11-24 09:54:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Alexander Shulgin:

>> It's actually UTF-8 text, and some PostgreSQL functions are only
>> available for TEXT, but not BYTEA, e.g.:
>>
>> bfk_int=> SELECT '\x006500'::bytea ~ 'A';
>> ERROR: operator does not exist: bytea ~ unknown
>
> And how will those TEXT functions behave on a value with an embedded
> NUL?

They need to be audited and fixed if necessary. I'm not saying that
this would be a trivial change.

> Or is it not only about being able to *store* NULs in a text field?

No, the entire core should be NUL-transparent.

By the way, I refuse the notion that UTF-8 strings with embedded NULs
are "broken". I can't recall any other system which enforces UTF-8
well-formedness, but does not permit embedded NULs.

--
Florian Weimer <fweimer(at)bfk(dot)de>
BFK edv-consulting GmbH http://www.bfk.de/