Re: Pet Peeves?

From: Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Pet Peeves?
Date: 2009-01-29 20:46:46
Lists: pgsql-general

On Jan 29, 2009, at 12:25 PM, Gregory Stark wrote:

> Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com> writes:
>
>> 6. Where's my CPAN equivalent? Postgresql is extensible, but it's
>> hard to find
>> the extension you need, and often harder than it should be to
>> install.
>
> FWIW our CPAN equivalent is pgfoundry. I don't think we quite have the
> critical mass yet that Perl has to really make it a big success
> though.

Kinda. It's much more like a freshmeat/sourceforge equivalent than a
CPAN equivalent. There's no standard package format, no dependency
or version handling, no possibility of automated installation.

It also has a mixture of postgresql modules, client-side code that can
access postgresql and even occasional projects that have nothing much
to do with postgresql.

> Making modules more, uh, modular, so they can be installed and
> uninstalled
> smoothly and preferably without special access privileges is a
> recognized
> issue though.

Yup, that's one prerequisite for the rest of it, really. pgTap, which
we have
now, was probably another.

Cheers,
Steve