Re: Pgadmin III not honoring DATESTYLE

From: Alexey Vorobyev <avorobyev(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pgadmin III not honoring DATESTYLE
Date: 2006-01-19 02:44:02
Lists: pgadmin-support

On 1/18/06, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk> wrote:

> By default in postgresql.conf the DATESTYLE is set to "SQL,European" and it
> works OK except for Pgadmin III.
> When you ask for "view data" in Pgadmin III a date field shows yyyy-mm-dd
> instead of dd/mm/yyyy
> Please tell me how to fix this
>
> pgAdmin works with DATESTYLE=ISO to ensure that dates cannot be
> misinterpreted when using servers with different settings. Supporting
> differing datestyles on different servers is not easy to do and can lead to
> user confusion. As an administration tool we prefer pgAdmin to remain
> unambiguous rather than make it easy to unintentionally enter invalid data,
> or misinterpret query results.
>
> Regards, Dave

I Don't think it's a good idea to set it's own Datestyle in pgAdmin.
I work both witg psql and pgAdmin and have "German" datestyle set for database.
It's not very easy to switch my mind :) between datestyles.
By the way, previous versions of pgadmin (II ?) worked well.

--
Alexey Vorobyevv
[icq #16768917]