Re: WAL files backup

From: "Chad Wagner" <chad(dot)wagner(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Eduardo J(dot) Ortega" <ejortegau(at)cable(dot)net(dot)co>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WAL files backup
Date: 2007-02-16 11:34:12
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 2/15/07, Eduardo J. Ortega <ejortegau(at)cable(dot)net(dot)co> wrote:

> After erasing the "less than names" WAL files, we add to tar the
> remaining
> WAL records (0003B, 0003C and so on on the example). The more WAL files
> you
> have after 0003B, the more up to date DB you get after restore (since it
> has
> more WAL files indicating more transactions that took place after the
> backup.

Why bother trying to delete WAL files older than the .backup file? When
PostgreSQL is in recovery mode it knows which WAL files are necessary to
perform the recovery.

Also, the documentation recommends excluding the pg_xlog directory when
performing the base backup. Likely when it comes time to recovery the
online WAL files have been archived already, so it is a risk of confusion I
am sure.

--
Chad
http://www.postgresqlforums.com/