Re: .org domain went down.

From: Scott Lamb <slamb(at)slamb(dot)org>
To: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: .org domain went down.
Date: 2003-05-20 01:08:02
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Monday, May 19, 2003, at 10:48 US/Central, Merlin Moncure wrote:

> According to the register (covered by Slashdot), the .org domain went
> down for a little while. Isn't that the one running on a postgres
> server? Does anybody know anything about this?

It's working fine, and I see no evidence that it was anything but
working fine. The Register's article was a bunch of allegations with no
basis in reality. My guess is that someone saw the "No match for
'SLAMB.ORG'."-style message when they did a whois query and assumed
that meant the server was down, when it really meant they were querying
Verisign's server, which doesn't know anything about .org. And then
posted a unsubstantiated rant. And, naturally, the slashdot people
linked to it without verifying.

Scott