Fwd: 8.0 Beta3 worked, RC1 didn't!

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Fwd: 8.0 Beta3 worked, RC1 didn't!
Date: 2004-12-24 15:00:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Forwarding the attached in case anyone missed it on -general.

The shmem attach address shown in his messages (00DC0000) seems mighty
low. What I am suspecting is:
1. Postmaster boots, creates shmem, and for some idiotic reason
2003 Server creates the shmem segment just above the end of
regular memory.
2. When subprocesses launch and re-read GUC settings, for one
reason or another they use up a little more RAM than the
postmaster did.
3. Subprocesses fail to attach to shmem because the target
address is now in their regular RAM range.

I don't know why 2003 Server has such a brain-dead choice of shmem
address assignment, nor why listen_addresses might prompt a little extra
growth of RAM usage. But the theory seems to fit the available facts.

If this is correct then we have to do something to force a smarter
choice of shmem address on Windows. One brute-force way to do it
might be to malloc a couple hundred K just before the postmaster
attaches to shmem, and then release?

Theory B is that somehow UsedShmemSegAddr is not being passed down
accurately in this case, but that seems a mite improbable.

regards, tom lane