RE: Win32 native port question

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Brother Tuck" <brothertuck72(at)hotmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com>
Subject: RE: Win32 native port question
Date: 2001-05-18 14:40:35
Lists: pgsql-ports

> Hi,
> Firstly, postgresSQL is a great product, simple to
> administrate, simple to
> port (on unix). Your team have done a very good job.
> I would like to make a wish for the next version.
> Is it possible to get a native port on Microsoft windows
> system (NT or
> 2000). I know that I can use cygnus stuff and port the
> server. But my wish
> will to get a port of the server on Win32 without Cygnus.
> The server should be start as service or as a console program
> (like apache). Is it plain ? Or never ?

I'd say it's highly unlikely that will ever be done. PostgreSQL uses too
many Unix APIs that are not available on native Win32. It would require
a complete rewrite of almost all core parts of the server - I doubt
there is somebody willing to do that, and able to do it in a way that
would not affect the currently supported platforms.
So I think for the foreseeable (sp?) future, you will have to live with
native Win32 client, but the server only on Cygnus or Unix.

//Magnus