Re: DBD::Pg 1.20 uncompatible with Postgres 7.3?

From: David Wheeler <david(at)wheeler(dot)net>
To: "Jeff Boes" <mur(at)qtm(dot)net>
Cc: <dbi-users(at)perl(dot)org>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DBD::Pg 1.20 uncompatible with Postgres 7.3?
Date: 2002-12-05 17:39:27
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Wednesday, December 4, 2002, at 11:40 AM, Jeff Boes wrote:

> I received the following communication from Tom Lane, who is active in
> PostgreSQL development:
>
>> ... without so much as a "ta-ta" in the release notes. Hmph. Well,
>> is
>> there any hope that a search-and-replace will convert old source code
>> using the new table?
>
> It shouldn't be a difficult change. Be aware that pg_constraint has
> more stuff in it than pg_relcheck did, so you'll want to add "WHERE
> contype = 'c'" to be sure you only see the rows corresponding to the
> old pg_relcheck table.

I chatted with Bruce Momjian about this a bit, too. My idea: PostgreSQL
should provide functions that do this sort of thing, so that psql,
DBD::Pg, org.postgresql.jdbc, and PostgreSQL ODBC can just use the
functions without worrying about the version numbers.

But then, somebody's gotta write the functions, contributed them to the
project, get them committed, and then wait for 7.4 to take advantage of
them. Still, it could eventually make such driver metadata requirements
much more portable across later PostgreSQL versions.

Best,

David

--
David Wheeler AIM: dwTheory