Re: synonym

From: "Medi Montaseri" <montaseri(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: s(dot)borse(at)direction(dot)biz
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: synonym
Date: 2007-12-14 07:50:13
Lists: pgsql-admin

PostgreSQL does not support SYNOSYM or ALIAS. Synonym is a non SQL 2003
feature implemented by Microsoft SQL 2005 (I think). While it does provide
an interesting abstraction, but due to lack of relational integrity, it can
be considered a risk.

That is, you can create a synonym, advertise it to you programmers, the code
is written around it, including stored procedures, then one day the backend
of this synonym (or link or pointer) is changed/deleted/etc leading to a run
time error. I don't even think a prepare would catch that.

It is the same trap as the symbolic links in unix and null pointers in
C/C++.

Cheers
Medi