Re: Why should my rule be conditional?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thiemo Kellner <thiemo(at)thiam(dot)ch>
Cc: pgNovice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why should my rule be conditional?
Date: 2003-12-26 23:09:46
Lists: pgsql-novice

Thiemo Kellner <thiemo(at)thiam(dot)ch> writes:
> However, the doument of your link below quite clearly
> states the differences, quite what I needed and was not able to find in the
> documentation (of 7.3 but it is there too). Looking at the chapter it is
> supposed to be in some chapter 13.7. However, looking in the index (7.3
> interactive) there is only one chapter 13 and that's regression test without
> a subchapter 7.

I think you're assuming that 7.3 section numbers would apply to 7.4,
which they don't (the html page names are somewhat more likely to carry
across, though).

In 7.3 and before the situation is even more confusing because the docs
are made up of several separate "books" each with its own chapter
numbering. "Rules vs. Triggers" is section 13.7 of the Programmer's
Guide book (in 7.3 anyway), whereas you seem to have been seeking it in
the Administrator's Guide.

7.4 has just one chapter numbering sequence for the entire SGML document
set, which I think is a considerable improvement. We're not going to be
revisiting the 7.3 documentation though. My advice: update to 7.4 ;-)