Re: dynamic result sets support in extended query protocol

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: dynamic result sets support in extended query protocol
Date: 2021-03-16 12:23:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 15.03.21 14:56, David Steele wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> On 12/30/20 9:33 AM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> On 2020-10-09 20:46, Andres Freund wrote:
>>> Is there really a good reason for forcing the client to issue
>>> NextResult, Describe, Execute for each of the dynamic result sets? It's
>>> not like there's really a case for allowing the clients to skip them,
>>> right?  Why aren't we sending something more like
>>>
>>> S: CommandPartiallyComplete
>>> S: RowDescription
>>> S: DataRow...
>>> S: CommandPartiallyComplete
>>> S: RowDescription
>>> S: DataRow...
>>> S: CommandComplete
>>> C: Sync
>>
>> I want to post my current patch, to keep this discussion moving.
>
> CFBot reports that tests are failing, although the patch applies.

Yes, as explained in the message, you need another patch that makes psql
show the additional result sets. The cfbot cannot handle that kind of
thing.

In the meantime, I have made a few small fixes, so I'm attaching another
patch.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-Dynamic-result-sets-from-procedures.patch text/plain 42.4 KB