Re: Data transfer very slow when connected via DSL

From: "Harald Armin Massa" <haraldarminmassa(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Rainer Bauer" <usenet(at)munnin(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Data transfer very slow when connected via DSL
Date: 2007-06-21 15:01:39
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hello Rainer,

The database computer is connected via a 2MBit SDL connection. I myself have
> 768/128 KBit ADSL connection and pinging the server takes 150ms on
> average.

I do not have a solution, but I can confirm the problem :)

One PostgreSQL-Installation: Server 8.1 and 8.2 on Windows in the central;
various others connected via VPN. Queries are subsecond when run locally
(including data transfer), and up to 10 seconds and more via VPN, even in
"off-hours"

The data-transfer is done via PG-Admin or via psycopg2 Python-Database
adapter; nothing with ODBC or similiar in between.

I did not find a solution so far; and for bulk data transfers I now
programmed a workaround.

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa