Re: No connection to Server

From: Harald Armin Massa <haraldarminmassa(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dennis Hübner <huebner(at)te-systems(dot)de>
Cc: "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: No connection to Server
Date: 2005-01-29 21:34:27
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Dennis,

> Operation system: Windows XP Professional
> Short description: No connection to Server
> - 'could not send SSL negotiation packet: The system cannot find the path
> specified'
> - 'server closed the connection unexpectedly. This probably means the server
> terminated abnormally'
> - 'error while processing sql-command'

That WAS a well known bug up to rc2 / rc3. I had it on at least 4
different machines. Magnus produced a fix with another calling
convention, which went in into rc4 and up.

Within the FAQ of the installer there is a section:

3.1) PostgreSQL and/or the installer crashes at startup, fails to
start or hangs on start

By far most common reasons for this are antivirus and firewalls. If
you have any firewall software installed on your machine, try either
disabling it or uninstalling it. If you have any antivirus software
installed, you must disable it for the directories that are to be used
by PostgreSQL. If that still does not help, it may be required to
completely uninstall the software from the machine.

Specific issues have been reported with the nod32 antivirus product.
If you are using this product, add "postmaster.exe" to the list of
excluded processes (available under advanced options). This has been
reported to fix the problem.

Specific issues have also been reported with McAfee and Panda
anti-virus software and NetLimiter network monitoring software. While
some people do have PostgreSQL working with these software packages,
there is no specific or even recommend solutions that have not worked
in some cases, so the issues would appear to be installation specific,
sometimes even requiring uninstallation.

------------
the spefic error occured with some antivir software, with the id-stick
of X-Check Age Verfication and with some specifig VOIP software
distributed by telecom (which part ever)

Problem is with LSP (Layered service providers) grabbing the
Winsock-Conneciton in an "not documented" way.

So there you can start your search,

good luck

HArald

--