Re: May be BUG. Periodic burst growth of the checkpoint_req counter on replica.

From: "Anton A(dot) Melnikov" <a(dot)melnikov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Anton A(dot) Melnikov" <aamelnikov(at)inbox(dot)ru>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: May be BUG. Periodic burst growth of the checkpoint_req counter on replica.
Date: 2023-12-04 01:49:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thanks for remarks!

On 28.11.2023 21:34, Alexander Korotkov wrote:
> After examining the second patch
> ("v2-0001-Add-restartpoint-stats.patch"), it appears that adding
> additional statistics as outlined in the patch is the most suitable
> approach to address the concerns raised. This solution provides more
> visibility into the system's behavior without altering its core
> mechanics.

Agreed. I left only this variant of the patch and rework it due to commit 96f05261.
So the new counters is in the pg_stat_checkpointer view now.
Please see the v3-0001-add-restartpoints-stats.patch attached.

> However, it's essential that this additional functionality
> is accompanied by comprehensive documentation to ensure clear
> understanding and ease of use by the PostgreSQL community.
>
> Please consider expanding the documentation to include detailed
> explanations of the new statistics and their implications in various
> scenarios.

In the separate v3-0002-doc-for-restartpoints-stats.patch i added the definitions
of the new counters into the "28.2.15. pg_stat_checkpointer" section
and explanation of them with examples into the "30.5.WAL Configuration" one.

Would be glad for any comments and and concerns.

With the best wishes,

--
Anton A. Melnikov
The Russian Postgres Company

Attachment Content-Type Size
v3-0001-add-restartpoints-stats.patch text/x-patch 7.8 KB
v3-0002-doc-for-restartpoints-stats.patch text/x-patch 4.5 KB