Re: POC: GROUP BY optimization

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com>
Cc: "Andrey V(dot) Lepikhov" <a(dot)lepikhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: POC: GROUP BY optimization
Date: 2022-03-29 18:00:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 3/29/22 04:02, Zhihong Yu wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 28, 2022 at 5:49 PM Tomas Vondra
> <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com <mailto:tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>>
> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Here's a rebased/improved version of the patch, with smaller parts
> addressing various issues. There are seven parts:
>
> 0001 - main part, just rebased
>
> 0002 - replace the debug GUC options with a single GUC to disable the
>        optimization if needed
>
> 0003 - minor code cleanup, removal of unnecessary variable
>
> 0004 - various comment fixes (rewordings, typos, ...)
>
> 0005 - a minor code simplification, addressing FIXMEs from 0004
>
> 0006 - adds the new GUC to the docs
>
> 0007 - demonstrates plan changes with a disabled optimization
>
> The first 6 parts should be squashed and committed at one, I only kept
> them separate for clarity. The 0007 is merely a demonstration of the new
> GUC and that it disables the optimization.
>
> > Agree. Because it is a kind of automation we should allow user to
> switch
> > it off in the case of problems or manual tuning.
> > > Also, I looked through this patch. It has some minor problems:
> > 1. Multiple typos in the patch comment.
>
> I went through the comments and checked all of them for grammar mistakes
> and typos using a word processor, so hopefully that should be OK. But
> maybe there's still something wrong.
>
> > 2. The term 'cardinality of a key' - may be replace with 'number of
> > duplicates'?
>
> No, cardinality means "number of distinct values", so "duplicates" would
> be wrong. And I think "cardinality" is well established term, so I think
> it's fine.
>
> BTW I named the GUC enable_group_by_reordering, I wonder if it should be
> named differently, e.g. enable_groupby_reordering? Opinions?
>

> regards
>
> --
> Tomas Vondra
> EnterpriseDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com <http://www.enterprisedb.com>
> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
>
> Hi,
>
> For 0001-Optimize-order-of-GROUP-BY-keys-20220328.patch:
>
> multiple parametes need to be
>
>   parametes -> parameters
>
> leave more expensive comparions
>
>   comparions -> comparisons
>
> +       if (has_fake_var == false)
>
> The above can be written as:
>
>        if (!has_fake_var)

All of this was already fixed in one of the subsequent "fixup" patches.
Attached is a patch merging 0001-0006, which is what I proposed to get
committed.

> +           nGroups = ceil(2.0 + sqrt(tuples) * (i + 1) /
> list_length(pathkeys));
>
> Looks like the value of tuples doesn't change inside the loop.
> You can precompute sqrt(tuples) outside the loop and store the value in
> a variable.

IMHO it makes the formula harder to read, and the effect is not going to
be measurable - we're processing only a couple elements. If the loop was
~100 iterations or more, maybe it'd have impact.

> +       return -1;
> +   else if (a->cost == b->cost)
> +       return 0;
> +   return 1;
>
> the keyword 'else' is not needed.

True, but this is how comparators are usually implemented.

> + * Returns newly allocated lists. If no reordering is possible (or needed),
> + * the lists are set to NIL.
> + */
> +static bool
> +get_cheapest_group_keys_order(PlannerInfo *root, double nrows,
>
> It seems the comment for return value doesn't match the bool return type.

Yup, this is a valid point. I've fixed/reworded the comment a bit.

> +   /* If this optimization is disabled, we're done. */
> +   if (!debug_cheapest_group_by)
>
> It seems enable_cheapest_group_by would be better name for the flag.

This was renamed to enable_order_by_reordering in one of the fixup patches.

Attached is a patch merging 0001 and all the fixup patches, i.e. the
patch I plan to commit.

There was a minor test failure - the new GUC was not added to the sample
config file, so 003_check_guc.pl was failing.

I'm not including the 0007 part, because that's meant to demonstrate
plan changes with disabled optimization, which would confuse cfbot.

regards

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Optimize-order-of-GROUP-BY-keys-20220329.patch text/x-patch 102.8 KB