Re: how unsafe (or worst scenarios) when setting fsync OFF for postgresql

From: "Mikael Carneholm" <Mikael(dot)Carneholm(at)WirelessCar(dot)com>
To: <guoping(dot)zhang(at)nec(dot)com(dot)au>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: how unsafe (or worst scenarios) when setting fsync OFF for postgresql
Date: 2006-04-27 07:42:54
Lists: pgsql-performance

Get a SCSI controller with a battery backed cache, and mount the disks
with data=writeback (if you use ext3). If you loose power in the middle
of a transaction, the battery will ensure that the write operation still
completes. With asynch writing setup like this, fsync operations will
return almost immidiately giving you performance close to that of
running with fsync off.

Regards,
Mikael