Re: createdb - missing pq.dll after compile/install?

From: s0lao(at)netscape(dot)net (S(dot) L(dot))
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: createdb - missing pq.dll after compile/install?
Date: 2003-12-16 07:06:15
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Mike,

[...]
>I have a new minor problem. When I compile/install PostgreSQL 7.4 from
>scratch, when run one of the scripts such as createdb.exe, I get a windows
[...]

AFAIK, createdb is a shell script. It should not have a ".exe" extension.

[...]
>error message that the "pq.dll" could not be found, and that I should try
>reinstalling. For fun, I tried reinstalling, and I still get the error. If
>I copy the pq.dll (which really has been installed in /usr/lib) to the
>windows/system32 folder, it works. I deleted the DLL, then tried installing
>the precompiled PostgreSQL from my cygwin download package, and it worked
>without asking for the pq.dll - I found that this time the dll had also been
>installed in /usr/bin. Is this something I should just know to do after I
>compile/install, or is it something I'm missing in the source code or my
>configuration settings?
[...]

There are some predefined paths and techniques a unix-like environment is awaare of. Such a technique is using a system variable (LD_CONFIG_PATH) to specify the place where the dynamic libraries are to be found. I.e. I configure/install my "app" as "/usr/local/app" with dynamic libs in "/usr/local/app/lib" but to actually use it I must do a "LD_CONFIG_PATH=$LD_CONFIG_PATH:/usr/local/app/lib" and "ldconfig", so that dynamic linker be able to find my libraries.

Well, windows doesn't have such a feature and neither does its POSIX layer, cygwin. In their case, the problem solves either by placing the dll in a place that already exists in the PATH variable, or to add the place to the PATH variable (i.e., if your Postgresql dlls are in /usr/local/pgsql/lib, then you must do a "PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/pgsql/lib" before you start any application that needs them).

SLao