Re: Modifying TOAST_TUPLE_THRESHOLD and TOAST_TUPLE_TARGET?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Greg Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Shadar" <shauldar(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Modifying TOAST_TUPLE_THRESHOLD and TOAST_TUPLE_TARGET?
Date: 2009-07-22 01:23:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I wrote:
>> Proposed patch attached.

> That first version was of the "minimally invasive" variety, to stress
> how little I was changing and minimize the chance that I would make
> some dumb error; however, it involved copy/paste of a few lines which
> were already in a source file twice. Attached is what I hope is a
> functionally identical patch, with minor refactoring. I think it
> results in more readable code.

Applied with some editorialization on the comments. I also tweaked the
user-facing TOAST documentation thusly:

*** doc/src/sgml/storage.sgml 17 Jun 2009 21:58:49 -0000 1.29
--- doc/src/sgml/storage.sgml 22 Jul 2009 01:17:23 -0000
***************
*** 347,353 ****
<literal>MAIN</literal> allows compression but not out-of-line
storage. (Actually, out-of-line storage will still be performed
for such columns, but only as a last resort when there is no other
! way to make the row small enough.)
</para>
</listitem>
</itemizedlist>
--- 347,353 ----
<literal>MAIN</literal> allows compression but not out-of-line
storage. (Actually, out-of-line storage will still be performed
for such columns, but only as a last resort when there is no other
! way to make the row small enough to fit on a page.)
</para>
</listitem>
</itemizedlist>