RE: RE: ODBC driver

From: Jeff Eckermann <jeckermann(at)verio(dot)net>
To: "'Nicolas Huillard'" <nhuillard(at)ghs(dot)fr>, "'Mihai Gheorghiu'" <tanhq(at)bigplanet(dot)com>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RE: RE: ODBC driver
Date: 2000-06-02 15:04:49
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

My experience with MS Access, querying large amounts of data via ODBC, is
that pass-through queries (carried out by the server) are usually the best
way to go. Local queries on linked tables will work fine for simple queries
(small number of rows returned, with a simple WHERE clause), but any kind of
large result set, or especially a complex set of WHERE criteria, slows my PC
to a crawl for 30-60 minutes or more. This is with a PII 350Mhz, 128 Mg
RAM. Same happened (only worse) with my previous PC. I've had to kill
Access plenty of times just to get out of these situations, because I just
couldn't work while it was going on.
I don't have any insight into the processes involved, this is just my
observation on many occasions...