New postgres installation

From: Carol Walter <walterc(at)indiana(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: New postgres installation
Date: 2008-08-14 18:45:02
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello,

I want to do a new installation of postgres. I have version 8.2.3
and I want to go to 8.3.3. The postgres documentation says that the
default location for the installation is /usr/local/pgsql. My
installation has obviously been customized because I have no such
path on my system. The documentation also says you can customize the
location by including prefix = PREFIX in the ./configuration file.
Is there a way I can tell what this customization was? There are
several directories that contain many of the same files. I have
several installations of postgres running on different servers. If
this is anything like everything else I've seen there, quite
possibly, is a different customization for each server.

Thank you very much,

Carol Walter