Re: Bug in ILIKE?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug in ILIKE?
Date: 2008-09-26 03:45:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> So I'm for the definition that escape-anything means exactly anything,
>> without any special treatment that it would otherwise have. And in
>> the case of ILIKE it seems like "no special treatment" should mean
>> "case insensitive match".

> Well, it looks to me to be pretty easily fixable. Given the above it
> seems to me marginal to call it a bug, though. I don't have very strong
> feelings, but I am generally opposed to changing the visible behaviour
> in stable releases unless something is clearly a bug.

Well, there are two possible interpretations: (1) it's a bug, or (2)
it's an intentional, about-to-be-documented feature that backslashing a
letter makes it case-sensitive in ILIKE.

I do not care for interpretation #2 ... especially in view of your
observation (confirmed here) that pre-8.3 releases didn't do this.
I think it's just a bug in 8.3.