plpgsql and control structures

From: Nick Boutelier <nboutelier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: plpgsql and control structures
Date: 2009-01-30 22:08:19
Lists: pgsql-general

I noticed that if I use...

IF (TG_OP = 'DELETE' AND OLD.myColumn) THEN
-- Do something
END IF;

when an insert happens, I get an error that 'OLD' has not been
assigned. I would of thought that the control structure would just
ignored the rest of the 'if' statement if the first part (TG_OP) was
false.

Does this mean I have to branch out my control structures if I want
better speed? If the first part of the 'if' is rarely true, then I
might as well put the second control within the first.

-Nick