Re: listening addresses

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: "Patches (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: listening addresses
Date: 2004-03-21 22:57:26
Lists: pgsql-patches

> Tom Lane wrote:
> + * check if ListenAddresses is empty or all spaces
>>
>> Why do you need this test (or the NetServer bool) at all? Just scan
>> the string and bind to whatever it mentions.

> It is used in the existing code to test if we can do SSL.

That test seems entirely bogus given the new dispensation that we are
not going to error out on bad entries in listen_addresses. I'd counsel
just getting rid of it.

>> This seems a bit nonrobust since it will fail if any whitespace is
>> added. I think it'd be better to test whether any individual hostname
>> extracted from the string is '*'.

> Agree with the first point, disagree with the second. What does it mean
> to specify "12.34.56.78 *"? I think "*" should be allowed only if it
> is the only entry in the list.

What does it mean to specify "12.34.56.78 12.34.56.78 12.34.56.78"?
If we want to prevent people from writing redundant listen_addresses
lists, we'll have to work a lot harder than this. But I don't see the
point of trying.