Re: pgsql: Fix compiler warnings on 64-bit boxes:

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Fix compiler warnings on 64-bit boxes:
Date: 2006-09-06 13:56:46
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> It might seem a minor quibble, but it seems like a more reliable approach
> might be to cast to a 64 bit type and user a 64 bit int formatter.

int64 is a real pain to use in error messages because of the
machine-dependence of the format string --- the translation machinery
doesn't work reliably if you try to do

ereport(...errmsg("trouble at offset " UINT64_FORMAT, bigintvar));

because any given translator will see only one of the several possible
source strings. You can get around this if you have to (print the
bigint into a char[n] local array and then use %s in the message),
but it's not worth it when dealing with values that can't plausibly
overflow an int. I think Teodor fixed it the right way.