Backing up and pg_dump options

From: Brent Dombrowski <brent(dot)dombrowski(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Backing up and pg_dump options
Date: 2011-06-21 18:29:40
Lists: pdxpug

Hello,

I recently started a summer job upgrading a PostGIS installation from Postgres 8.2 to 9.0. In the course of this upgrade, I needed the pg_dump with the -Fc custom option. This was required for the PostGIS upgrade script. That worked well. However, it has now raised questions about how to do weekly backups. Currently, the backups are in the plain pg_dump format (-Fp, the default). I'd like to know which format is considered the norm and get a feel for what other people are doing.

Thanks,

Brent Dombrowski
CMOP Summer Intern.