Re: [HACKERS] Can ICU be used for a database's default sort order?

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Daniel Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>
Cc: Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pg(at)bowt(dot)ie, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Can ICU be used for a database's default sort order?
Date: 2018-12-12 17:53:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/12/2018 15:57, Daniel Verite wrote:
> I think one related issue that the patch works around by using a libc locale
> as a proxy is knowing what to put into libc's LC_CTYPE and LC_COLLATE.
> In fact I've been wondering if that's the main reason for the interface
> implemented by the patch.

So it seems, but then it should be called out more clearly.

> Otherwise, how should these env variables be initialized for ICU
> databases?

I think when using ICU by default, then it should not matter because we
shouldn't be calling any libc functions that use those settings. Maybe
there need to be some exceptions, but again we should call those out
more clearly.

We could set them to "C" for consistency perhaps.