Re: Need help with Visual Basic 6 and PostgreSQL

From: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, Finn Lassen <dcio(at)AxiomInt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Need help with Visual Basic 6 and PostgreSQL
Date: 2007-11-23 21:17:33
Lists: pgsql-odbc

--- On Fri, 11/23/07, Finn Lassen <dcio(at)AxiomInt(dot)com> wrote:
> There is no "(" field. The "(" is the
> SQL syntax for enumerating the
> fields to be populated.

>> 2007-11-22 20:21:14 STATEMENT: BEGIN;insert into "public"."Contact1" ("", "Department", ..., "(", ... ) values (E'93100765018597400Bru'...

Actually if you've noticed from this insert statement that you've previously posted, "(" is listed as a column name for data to be inserted. This must be caused by either the ODBC or ADO driver is telling PostgreSQL to insert data into a column that doesn't really exist. My gut feeling is that this shouldn't be a problem caused by the ODBC driver hence my suggest to specifically call out the column names of your table when you assign values to your fields.

> P.S. Unfortunately I have already spent way more time on
> this than I can afford. This was supposed to be a quick
> evaluation to determine which database to replace the
> Borland with. I really should move on to looking at MySQL.

No arguments from me on this point. MySQL is a very good RDBMS also, and depending upon your needs it should work out well for you. But if you later find that MySQL's features to not adequately satisfy some of you core development needs you could always give PostgreSQL a second try later on.

Regarding getting in touch with the developers, some of the ODBC developers subscribe to this mailing list. It could be that developers haven't had an opportunity to responded since this is a holiday weekend and may be unavailable.

However, the ODBC project has an official web-page for developers and bug reporting.
http://pgfoundry.org/projects/psqlodbc/
http://pgfoundry.org/tracker/?func=add&group_id=1000125&atid=538

Also, 3rd party vendor (Command Prompt) has developed their own ODBC driver that is supposed to have a more aggressive data caching mechanism. I haven't used it since the Official ODBC driver has worked so well in my case. You could see if this driver produces different results.

https://projects.commandprompt.com/public/odbcng/wiki/Downloads

They also have a mailing list dedicated to this driver: