Re: postmaster crash

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Michael Beckstette" <mbeckste(at)TechFak(dot)Uni-Bielefeld(dot)DE>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postmaster crash
Date: 2002-03-26 17:46:23
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Michael Beckstette" <mbeckste(at)TechFak(dot)Uni-Bielefeld(dot)DE> writes:
> from time to time my postmaster crashes with the below mentioned errormessage.

> DEBUG: MoveOfflineLogs: remove 0000000D000000A3
> FATAL 2: MoveOfflineLogs: cannot read xlog dir: Invalid argument

Hmm. I cannot see a reason for the xlog directory to be unreadable,
especially not if it's readable most of the time.

The code that is reporting this failure is in MoveOfflineLogs() in
src/backend/access/transam/xlog.c. You could maybe add some
additional debug logging there to try to understand what is going wrong
... but I sure don't see any reason for readdir() to fail, especially
not if it's succeeded on previous calls --- and your log indicates it's
succeeded at least once.

Are you perhaps running Postgres over an NFS mount? That's widely
considered unreliable.