Re: [17] CREATE SUBSCRIPTION ... SERVER

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2024-01-24 01:45:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2024-01-23 at 15:21 +0530, Ashutosh Bapat wrote:
> I am with the prefix. The changes it causes make review difficult. If
> you can separate those changes into a patch that will help.

I ended up just removing the dummy FDW. Real users are likely to want
to use postgres_fdw, and if not, it's easy enough to issue a CREATE
FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER. Or I can bring it back if desired.

Updated patch set (patches are renumbered):

* removed dummy FDW and test churn
* made a new pg_connection_validator function which leaves
postgresql_fdw_validator in place. (I didn't document the new function
-- should I?)
* included your tests improvements
* removed dependency from the subscription to the user mapping -- we
don't depend on the user mapping for foreign tables, so we shouldn't
depend on them here. Of course a change to a user mapping still
invalidates the subscription worker and it will restart.
* general cleanup

Overall it's simpler and hopefully easier to review. The patch to
introduce the pg_create_connection role could use some more discussion,
but I believe 0001 and 0002 are nearly ready.

Regards,
Jeff Davis

Attachment Content-Type Size
v9-0001-Add-SQL-function-pg_conninfo_from_server.patch text/x-patch 26.2 KB
v9-0002-CREATE-SUSBCRIPTION-.-SERVER.patch text/x-patch 49.1 KB
v9-0003-Introduce-pg_create_connection-predefined-role.patch text/x-patch 31.4 KB