Re: [patch] [doc] Further note required activity aspect of automatic checkpoint and archving

From: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [patch] [doc] Further note required activity aspect of automatic checkpoint and archving
Date: 2021-03-18 15:36:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi David,

On 1/15/21 2:50 PM, David G. Johnston wrote:

> If the above wants to be made more explicit in this change maybe:
>
> "This is mitigated by the fact that archiving, and thus filling, the
> active WAL segment will not happen if that segment is empty; it will
> continue as the active segment."

"archiving, and thus filling" seems awkward to me. Perhaps:

This is mitigated by the fact that WAL segments will not be archived
until they have been filled with some data, even if the archive_timeout
period has elapsed.

> Consistency is good; and considering it further the skipped wording is
> generally better anyway.
>
> "The automatic checkpoint will be skipped if no new WAL has been written
> since the last recorded checkpoint."
Looks good to me.

Could you produce a new patch so Peter has something complete to look at?

Regards,
--
-David
david(at)pgmasters(dot)net