Re: proposal for smaller indexes on index-ordered tables

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: "Jeffrey Baker" <jwbaker(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: proposal for smaller indexes on index-ordered tables
Date: 2008-06-24 22:08:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> Now, *why* it is a mistake is interesting to speculate about, but
>> let's confirm the theory first.

> Could this be related to hint bit rewrites during indexing?

If so, changing maintenance_work_mem won't improve the situation.

What I personally suspect is that Jeff's index build is swapping like
crazy, or else there's just some problem in the sort code for such a
large sort arena. But let's get some evidence about how the index build
time varies with maintenance_work_mem before jumping to conclusions.

> Would a vacuum between creation and indexing be a good way to tell?

Yeah, that might be a useful experiment to try too. It wouldn't improve
the overall time AFAICS, but it would give us some idea how much of the
indexing time was really spent on hintbits.