Re: How to use search_path in CASE

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Lennart Ripke" <l(dot)ripke(at)automationwr(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to use search_path in CASE
Date: 2010-07-02 06:24:45
Lists: pgsql-novice

"Lennart Ripke" <l(dot)ripke(at)automationwr(dot)de> writes:
> I have a database with 6 schemas (named schema1 to schema6), each
> contains a table 'foo'. I want to insert testvalues into these tables
> using a plpgsql function.

> I learned you can't use SET search_path (or SET LOCAL) in a CASE
> structure because the function is using the current search path , which
> does only change at session scope.

> But how to accomplish this task?

1. Rethink that schema design. It seems pretty poorly chosen.
A rule of thumb is that N identical tables should be replaced by
1 table with one more primary-key column. A design with N identical
tables in N schemas might make sense if you typically only need to
access one schema at a time, but that isn't your requirement.

or...

2. Do something like

CASE s
WHEN 1 THEN