problem - group by

From: Dusan PESL <D(dot)PESL(at)seznam(dot)cz>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: problem - group by
Date: 2007-05-12 08:26:17
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello,

in SQLite this query is posible:

SELECT acount/1000, SUM(values) FROM acounts
GROUP BY acount/1000

this very simple and elegant way to get groups of common acounts, Unfortunately Postgres doesn't alow "GROUP BY acount/1000" - only "GROUP BY acount", which is not the same.

I know, there are several ways, how to solve this problem, but the metod "GROUP BY acount/1000" seems to be the most elegant. Can anyone help me?

Thanks Dusan