Re: Copy command freezes but INSERT works fine with trigger oninsert.

From: "Gregory S(dot) Williamson" <gsw(at)globexplorer(dot)com>
To: "Artimenko Igor" <igorart7(at)yahoo(dot)com>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Copy command freezes but INSERT works fine with trigger oninsert.
Date: 2004-08-27 20:29:52
Lists: pgsql-sql

The copy command will run as a single transaction -- all succeed or all fail, I think, so if you interrupt it no rows will be loaded. The inserts -- unless wrapped into a transaction with a "begin; ... commit;" block will each be a single transaction.

Check you postgres log file for the time when they copy was runnint --- you should see it writing something like this as it does its logging:
2004-08-18 09:56:26 LOG: removing transaction log file "0000002200000089"
2004-08-18 09:56:26 LOG: removing transaction log file "0000002200000087"

In and of itself I don't see why the trigger would stop copy (although performance might be an issue), but I am rather unacquainted with triggers in postgres, so perhaps someone more knowledgable could comment.

HTH,

Greg Williamson
DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC