gcc compile flags

From: Brickley Jeff-RA9607 <Jeff(dot)Brickley(at)motorola(dot)com>
To: "'pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: gcc compile flags
Date: 2002-08-22 16:02:23
Lists: pgsql-admin

I am installing postgresql 7.2 using the gcc 3.1 compiler. I previously installed postgresql 7.2 using the Sun forte 7.0 compiler and am looking to compare performance between the two installs.
The forte compiler had specific optimization flags based on the architecture I was installing the application on. I can not find a good reference that spells out exactly what flags I should use with the gcc compiler. The man pages are thorough on gcc but unfortunately the explanations of the optimization flags are over my head. Does anyone know where I can find an easy to read reference that would aid me in selecting the best options for this gcc compile?

I am installing on the Sparc II architecture.....I have a Sun Ultra 60 dual 450 processor with sunos 2.8.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jeff Brickley