Initdb fails - semctl invalid argument

From: "Rattan, Neeta S" <nsratta(at)sandia(dot)gov>
To: "'pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Initdb fails - semctl invalid argument
Date: 2004-05-17 17:17:11
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Did anyone find a solution to the problem Eric posted below-
Semctl(17, 16, SETVAL, 536) failed: Invalid argument.
The solution posted of rebooting the machine did not work for me, and I
continue to see this problem everytime I try to run initdb (on WinXP,
cygwin, 7.4.2) with the first argument of semctl increasing on each
subsequent attempt.
Please advise!
-Neeta Rattan

We are getting this same exact error-- always this

semctl(35, 16, SETVAL, 536) failed: Invalid argument

on the creating template1 step of initdb.

On my Windows XP machine I had 7.4.1 working fine last month (service
configuration).

If I install 7.4.2 I get this error. If I reinstall 7.4.1 (rerun make
install) initdb works. If I reinstall 7.4.2 it fails again with that semctl
error. I tried rebuilding 7.41 from scratch and installing, thinking maybe
it was a configuration difference when I built it last month, but no, 7.4.1
initdb still works.

My coworker, on the other hand (not running it as a service), gets this same
semctl error even with 7.4.1.

This is preventing us from switching from mySQL to Postgres. Can anyone
please offer a clue how to get around this?

Eric Schwarzenbach