Re: BUG #3110: Online Backup introduces Duplicate OIDs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Randy Isbell \(jisbell\)" <jisbell(at)cisco(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3110: Online Backup introduces Duplicate OIDs
Date: 2007-03-10 23:02:12
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Randy Isbell \(jisbell\)" <jisbell(at)cisco(dot)com> writes:
> I found that if I take an offline backup created around the same time as
> my online backup, roll forward the transaction log files included in the
> offline backup using a recovery.conf file, the duplicate records do NOT
> exist.
> Therefore it seems there is no corruption in the WAL files. The problem
> must be in the PITR processing of the online backup file.

... or there's something wrong with your backup procedure.

I hadn't looked closely at that point before, but I see you describe it
as

> 3. Issue pg_start_backup()
> 4. Save off the data cluster
> 5. Issue pg_stop_backup()
> 6. Collect the WAL files
> 7. Create a big hairy tar file with the stuff from items 4 and 6.
> 8. Take the big hairy tar file to another server running the same pg
> 8.2.3, untar and start postgres

AFAICS this procedure is *not* suggested anywhere in our documentation.
What's bothering me about it is that I don't see anything guaranteeing
that you have a full set of WAL files back to pg_start_backup(). If
checkpoints occur during step 4, as is virtually certain given you say
step 4 takes 20 minutes, then WAL files you need will get
renamed/recycled. What are you doing to "collect the WAL files"
exactly?

Also, what do you consider to be an "offline backup", and what's
different in your process for creating that?